History



1890
 

First Böhler sales office opened in Italy

 

The Austrian brothers Arthur and Emil Böhler, representative agents of the steel mill in Kapfenberg, with a history dating back to 1446, established the first branch in Italy, in the city centre of Milan.

They started by selling both alloyed and non-alloyed tool and construction steels and at the beginning of the twentieth century Böhler was the first company selling high speed steels in Italy, where it was highly successful.

1930'
 

Enlargement of the distribution network and service centres

After First World War, larger offices and warehouses also equipped for the cut of bars were opened.

1947
 

Società Italiana Acciai Böhler S.p.A. is established

Headquarter in Milan, new branches opened in Brescia, Torino, Genova, Padova, Bologna and Napoli to face the increased demand during the post-war reconstruction years and the "economic miracle" of the 1960'.

1978
 

A new enterprise of special steel makers VEREINIGTE EDELSTAHLWERKE AG (VEW)

Following the merger in Austria of BÖHLER, SCHOELLER-BLECKMANN and STEIRISCHE GUSSSTAHLWERKE AG, Böhler in Italy became parte of VEW ACCIAI SpA

1989
 

The company BÖHLER reconstructed

After reorganisation of the Austrian head office, VEW ACCIAI ITALIA S.p.A. changed its corporate setting into BÖHLER ACCIAI ITALIA S.p.A., thus reviving the famous old brand name.

1991
 

Reorganization within BÖHLER-UDDEHOLM AG

Companies belonging to the Austrian group Böhler are merged with companies of the Swedish group Uddeholm into BÖHLER UDDEHOLM AG, one of the world biggest groups of production and sales of tool steel. Headquarter is set in Vienna.

2007
 

BÖHLER UDDEHOLM AG takeover by voestalpine AG

The group voestalpine AG from Linz, European leader in the steel industry, takes over the group Böhler Uddeholm AG.

Böhler Uddeholm, since 2011 named voestalpine Edelstahl GmbH, represents the Division Special Steel of voestalpine, beside the three Divisions Steel, Metal Engineering and Metal Forming.